Saturday, September 1, 2012

IKWYDLS 2012

By a stroke of good fortune, I get a 4-day weekend this Labor Day.  I was not expecting that at all.  So...


I started in on that backsplash.  Last weekend we got the tiles and supplies.  Among the supplies was a saw for cutting the tiles.  It says it is a Wet/Dry tile saw, but the instructions clearly say to keep the blade wet.  It is pretty cool.  It's basically what I call a "Skil Saw" but that is a brand name for a powered hand saw.  Here's a picture of one:

It made the job much easier than any of the non-powered options.  It was also quite precise, which I appreciate.  I was not able to cut the rounded corners around the sink, but everything else went well.  I (of course) built a contraption for using it in the utility sink in the basement.  I deliberately built that sink so that a standard garden hose could be attached at any time.  The picture doesn't show it, but the saw has this tiny, cheap-ish water line with a garden hose attachment, so I was ready for that.  But, I wanted a way to clamp the tiles down while cutting.  Some pressure-treated lumber made a platform that sits over the top of the sink.  I clamped the tiles between that surface and a 2x4 with woodworking clamps.  The result was a firm grip on the tile with an ergonomic work height that discharged everything into the sink.  Well, when the blade gets spinning, the water flies around pretty well, so I got a little wet over the entire process, but I was sweaty anyway.

The net result of all that effort today was I got all the tile laid out.  It took 5 hours-- including the time to build the sink surface and read the saw instructions.  The stones are glued to a mesh backing, so I was able to use small finishing nails to "pin" them up, place, measure, etc.  At the end of day 1, it looks like this:





No comments:

Post a Comment