Friday, May 14, 2010

Seussian

Nothing came to inspire me when writing at my desk last eve.
I could not see, I could not write with Nothing on my desk all night.
I thought Something, surely, could lend a hand, but then Something brought in a band.
With Something playing catchy songs, I could not move my work along.
Anything might have been better than Everything seizing my letter.
I tried to resist the small invasion in my room on this occasion,
But Nothing was going to make it stop until Something got my feet to hop.
Then Everything joined in the dance along with feet and shoes and pants.
Anything was fine with me moving so outrageously
Something told me, “That’s the spirit!” loud enough that I could hear it
Everything encouraged, too, distracting from my work to do.
Anything was permissive: no inhibitions, nothing dismissive.
Then my nose began to quiver! Something had started making liver!
I smelled onions and some fava beans, the air a smelly yellow sheen.
I rushed to open up a window, but Everything suggested dojo.
Ninjas sent their weapons flying, Anything in-full complying.
As Something tumbled ‘round my head, wounded Ninjas dropped like lead.
As I lost grasp of all cognition, Something started demolition.
With hard hat and a wrecking ball, my house was just about to fall.
The last I heard was a rumbling growl as Nothing made a chainsaw howl.
With a snort I bolted upright! Everything gone from the fire light.
My loud snoring dashed my dreams and all the nonsense, so it seems.
But all was not a wasted night, since now I have something to write.

1 comment:

  1. I have been tinkering with Seussian stuff since I did our Christmas letter that way for 2009. This is one of the few stand-alone pieces. I wanted it to be parallel: While Nothing, Something, Anything, and Everything are easily imagined Seussian characters, the words also work correctly grammatically... for a dream, at least.

    ReplyDelete