Sunday, June 5, 2011

I Know What You Did Last Summer 6/3/11

6/3/11 – Today was the first real test of the system. I mixed some up and stuck in to the wall. There was a learning curve. Here’s what I learned: First, the smaller the area, the better. But, really the only reason I had the large area in the first place was part of a learning curve about how the stuff comes off the wall, too. The biggest reason for keeping the area small is that the stucco wants to slide and bulge (which is a bit obvious) so the less, the better it behaves. Along the same line, the consistency of the mix is important. Too much water may smooth out nicely, but it doesn’t stay put as well, either. Another lesson was technique. Plop a scoop on the trowel, start low and really press it up and into place, allowing the existing siding to scrape off the remainder. After a decent surface amount is in place, use an up-to-the- right motion (I am right-handed.) The trowel surface is nice for making a flat surface between the old and new bottom edge, but a vertical motion makes the best looking surface. So, I use both. Since the old siding has vertical lines indented in it, I have to mimic that. I used the side of an old plastic ruler. The flatter the finished stucco, the easier that is, but I used the straightness of the ruler and drag the bottom corner of it in and am satisfied with the result. I’ll get better with experience. If it all holds together, this just might work.

No comments:

Post a Comment